The SOMOS MoP® course begins at the Foundation level, delivered over three days, concluding with a multiple choice exam. The course is ideally suited to someone who will be involved in Portfolio Management or who is planning to move to this corporate level in the near future.
MoP (Management of Portfolios) is the Portfolio Management standard available which enables you to:
· Run the right projects and programmes, delivering a measurable contribution to strategic objectives
· Remove redundant and duplicate projects and programmes
· Realize benefits that align with corporate strategy
· Report effectively to improve transparency, accountability and corporate governance
Portfolio Management (PfM) plays a critical role in organizational survival and growth by better co-ordination and investment in Programmes and Projects, improving risk management, encouraging collaborative working and providing timely, accurate information to enhance management decision making.
On completion of this course, participants will achieve a detailed and practical understanding of the MoPprinciples. The MoP course is based on 5 flexible Principles which provide the foundation for a successful Portfolio Management (PfM) practice. The course is structured as follows:
What is PfM?
- Background & Definitions
- Portfolio Management Models
- Benefits of PfM
- Some misconceptions
Strategic and Organizational context
- PfM vs. Business As Usual
- PfM and strategic & business planning
- PfM and budgeting and resource allocation
- PfM and Programme and Project Management
- PfM and performance management
- PfM and Corporate Governance
- PfM and corporate functions
Principles of PfM
- Senior Management commitment
- Governance alignment
- Strategy alignment
- Portfolio Office
- Energized change culture
- Implementing & Sustaining PfM
- Using organizational energy
- Portfolio Definition cycle
- Portfolio Delivery cycle
Portfolio definition cycle
Portfolio delivery cycle
- Management control
- Benefits management
- Financial management
- Risk management
- Stakeholder engagement
- Organizational governance
- Resource management
3 days | 21 PDUs
SOMOS’ experience has shown that the optimal class size is between 14 and 20 students. This enables proper interaction between the participants and the instructor.
- MoP manual: “Management of Portfolios”
- Pre-Course Readings
- Course slides & Exercises
- Project Managers
- Project Executives
- Programme Managers
- Portfolio Managers
A knowledge of other AXELOS standards (PRINCE2®) is useful, but not essential. Pre-course reading of the MoP manual is required in preparation for the start of instruction. Candidates should be prepared to spend approximately 10-15 hours reading in advance of the course and commit to 2-3 hours of homework each evening during the course.
- Multiple choice examination questions
- 50 questions per paper
- 25 marks required to pass (out of 50 available) – 50%
- 40 minutes’ duration
- Closed book.
This course is offered publicly to individuals and in-house to groups of 8 to 20.
If you would like to discuss your organization’s management development needs with a SOMOS account executive, call 613-680-6111 x342
MoP® and PRINCE2® are registered trademarks of AXELOS Limited.